From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP for review: mix-in profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:47:29
1 On 24/01/17 17:20, Jason Zaman wrote:
2 > This is awesome! thanks for working on it, ive wanted it for a while
3 > now.
4 >
5 > The main issue I see with it is ordering. For the hardened and selinux
6 > profiles, the order matters a lot. eg hardened defaults the jit useflag
7 > off and the desktop profile defaults on which causes problems with PaX.
8 > If these two mixins would end up in a kind of random order then we'll
9 > have issues. See https://bugs.gentoo.org/492312 for a specific issue.
10 >
11 > It could be as simple as when putting in the make.profile list, do it in
12 > the order they are defined in the profiles.mixin file, then we can just
13 > have hardened and selinux last and problem solved. Or could go with a
14 > priority field but then again there is the problem of what happens when
15 > two have the same priority?
16 >
17 > Also how will profiles.mixin interact between different overlays? you
18 > can manually set a parents file with features/desktop::gentoo and
19 > feature/foo::overlay already. if foo::myoverlay is in the desktop group,
20 > does that merge together with the desktop group ones in ::gentoo?
21 >
22 > -- Jason
23 >
24 Here's one suggestion .. how about we use a system similar to the old
25 init naming scheme of:
26
27 [<char>]<2-digit><name>
28
29 where the 2-digit defines the first-order sorting, and then by
30 alphabetical thereafter?
31
32 Just a random idea...