From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global useflag for enabling visibility support
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:32:22
1 On E, 2007-11-05 at 16:19 +0100, Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I think it's time to add a more general flag for enabling visibility support
5 > in packages as currently there is only a kde specific one
6 > (kdehiddenvisibility) and I don't think it makes sense to add a new one for
7 > each package that needs it.
8
9 Why do they need it, is the question. If it's supported and stable, it
10 should just be enabled, end of story, in my opinion. I believe it was
11 optional in KDE due to it not being stable for some reason (either GCCs
12 at the time were sketchy or their build system problems weren't smoothed
13 out, I guess).
14
15 > I have just added a local "visibility" flag for paludis and that's also my
16 > candidate for the global one, but better names are welcome.
17
18 Why not enable it by default and unconditionally (other than GCC version
19 being used supporting it) in this specific case?
22 Mart Raudsepp
23 Gentoo Developer
24 Mail: leio@g.o
25 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio