From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: cartesian product extension to keyword system
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:39:17
1 Hi,
2
3 On 29-04-2013 16:14:51 +0900, heroxbd wrote:
4 > In GLEP22[1], reasonable defaults has been introduced to prevent the
5 > explosion of keywords. With the growth of Gentoo Prefix, however, a
6 > substantial amount of keywords are introduced. Among them, duplex
7 > information exists. For example, an ebuild keyworded x86-linux(Gentoo
8 > Prefix on x86 linux) will certainly build on x86 (Gentoo vanilla on x86
9 > linux).
10
11 Likely, but not necessary true.
12
13 > Furthermore if the ebuild has "amd64" keyword, it will certainly
14 > build on amd64-linux too.
15
16 Somewhat likely, but absolutely not true.
17
18 > Therefore we propose the following cartesian product extension to
19 > keyword system.
20
21 We added the keywords as is, to uniquely define which systems it works
22 on. Assuming something will work because it should be similar is (and
23 has been proven in the past to be) wrong.
24
25 My €0.02
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level