From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ruby keywording
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:53:33
On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 23:17 +0100, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> Ruby is an interpreted language, I don't see any > point in having every arch team do the testing for every small package. > Could the ruby team add ~x86 themselves after testing on ~amd64, or are > there compelling reasons to not do this?
This discussion has come up in the past, not just for Ruby. The consensus seems to be that it's better to keep handling everything by the arch teams, since there may be other issues besides compilation that may cause differences on arches. I know of several arch-specific bugs in interpreted Ruby code myself. It's also a matter of where to stop. Each new keyword added in the end is an additional maintenenance burden for that arch. I don't want to make that decision since I won't be doing the work. Hans