From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 2 cleanup: remaining packages, Dec 2020 update
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 22:12:05
1 On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 15:47:40 +0000 Marek Szuba wrote:
4 > On December 5, 2020 12:31:33 PM UTC, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > >Looks like you misunderstood what "Python 3 compatibility mode"
7 > >means. See official explanation:
8 > >https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html#python-2-python-3-compatibility-mode
9 >
10 > So I have. Oh well, last rites it most likely is then. Or move
11 > py2 versions of RenPy and their revdeps to a dedicated overlay,
12 > maybe.
13
14 Do we have a dedicated py2 overlay? Renpy has quite some py2 deps,
15 so it will be reasonable to support it in such overlay instead of
16 duplicating job for common packages.
17
18 > I am not quite convinced simply having then masked in the
19 > main tree makes sense, as these will have to stay masked even after
20 > RenPy 8.0 has come out.
21
22 The sense I see:
23 1) it will make it easier to update to 8.0;
24 2) for users willing to use renpy it will be a starting point,
25 though they'll need to setup py2 outside of portage somehow, maybe
26 using pip.
27
28 But maybe it will be easier for users to use bundled renpy from
29 games (it often comes with its own py2); though not all games have
30 linux port — that is the killer feature of the in-tree renpy
31 version.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Andrew Savchenko