From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [dRFC] slotted mysql ready
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:17:44
1 Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 >> Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
3 >>
4 [...]
5 >> "{{{ A hypothetical example:
6 >>
7 >> I used mysql-4.1.16-r30 and I have a locally encoded (say Shift_JIS)
8 >> database. I have DBD-mysql compiled against that and a package FOO using
9 >> that works as expected.
10 >>
11 >> Some package wants >=mysql-5.0.0 and DBD-mysql, and because mysql is
12 >> SLOTed, portage says ok, emerges mysql-5.0.18-r30 and rebuilds
13 >> DBD-mysql against it.
16 > Oops *you* need to tell portage to rebuild DBD-mysql. Difficult that a
17 > package will want mysql >= something, but take this is an example, so
18 > it's ok.
19
20 Yup, /me bad. The usual way for a package using a language binding is to
21 depend on that bindig (dev-perl/DBD-mysql-VVV).
22
23 All my worries were for the case when the latest stable dev-perl/DBD-mysql
24 is compiled against the latest SLOTed mysql-5.1.x and is being used to
25 access data on an old (SLOTed or not; localhost or some remote host) server.
26 But I guess then the problem will be entirely in dev-perl/DBD-mysql being
27 unable to connect to older servers :-)
28
29 At this moment I should say "Sorry for the wasted bandwidth/time" :-|
30
31 [...]
32
33 > Better ?
34
35 Times better! Hypothetical problem is solved, thank you for your time!
36
37 Kalin.
41 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
43 --