From: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of elogind integration and the default +elogind local USE flag on xorg-server.
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:08:04
1 Hi,
2
3 On 22/03/2019 21.47, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
4 > Therefore, not one single package, unless it hard-depends on exactly-one-of (
5 > elogind systemd ) should enable elogind by default at this time. Doing so now
6 > only makes people switch it off globally either before or after they are facing
7 > runtime issues.
8 >
9 > Let's fix the remaining bugs, create a proper news item in advance, and then
10 > switch over desktop profiles to elogind as the new default.
11
12 So, what you propose is to go IUSE="+suid elogind" on xorg-server for
13 now, until elogind has full blown support, and then enabling +elogind in
14 desktop profile?
15
16 I am not a big fan of that, but for sure, that would address the issues,
17 however I am really worried about what to do later with xorg-server. I
18 *really* do not want suid to be enabled there by default permanently, if
19 we go the following route, do you think it's feasible to then still
20 default to +elogind -suid on xorg-server? I understood now that
21 consolekit clash with elogind, but maybe it's something to handle on
22 consolekit level, to block elogind from being installed?
23
24 This way the users of default profile would defaults to elogind on
25 xorg-server, and if they desire to use consolekit, they will need to add
26 -elogind for xorg-server, and adding +suid if they do not use DM that
27 starts X for them as root.
28
29 -- Piotr.

pEpkey.asc application/pgp-keys