From: Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bzipped manpages
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 09:30:36
1 Hiya Jan,
2
3 The following snippet from Ingo is correct:
4
5 > So, you want to hear something constructive? Your best option is to
6 > just decompress that stuff on your system. (Gentoo is famous for
7 > its excessive configurability - maybe there is even an option?)
8
9 We are both famous for our excessive configurability and there is even
10 an option already! 5:) If you look in the manpage (once you've
11 decompress it somewhere, or online at [1]) for make.conf, you'll see the
12 entry for PORTAGE_COMPRESS, which you can set as follows:
13
14 PORTAGE_COMPRESS=""
15
16 As mentioned in [2,3,others]. You'll then need to reinstall all
17 packages. If you manually decompress the files, then the uncompressed
18 manpages won't be registered with portage and won't get removed if the
19 owning package is uninstalled. Hope that helps...
20
21 Mike 5:)
22
23 [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/make.conf.5.html