From: Sherman Boyd <meekrob@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How should Gentoo docs be licensed?
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 20:59:18
1 How should Gentoo docs be licensed? I know of two documentation licenses, the GFDL and the OPL. Anyone know of any alternatives?
2
3 http://www.fsf.org/licenses/fdl.html
4
5 http://opencontent.org/openpub/
6
7 I think it's important that Gentoo choose or create ONE (as opposed to letting the author decide) license for it's official documentation. Having one documentation license simplifies things, and lowers our chances of breaking a license (or copyright) when we distribute our documentation.
8
9 Both licenses are seem good to me, but I am not a copyright lawyer. The GFDL is definitely longer, and more specific. The OPL is short and clean, easily understood by a layperson.
10
11 sherman (meekrob)