From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:51:04
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 11/07/12 06:40 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>> Being able to choose not to run systemd at all? If there's no
9 >>> need to build systemd, than what it requires is irrelevant.
10 >>
11 >> I think this discussion is getting sidetracked.
12 >>
13 >> This didn't start out as a discussion about whether everybody
14 >> should have to have systemd on their systems - the answer to that
15 >> is no.
16 >>
17 >> The question is whether we should have a virtual for udev. Right
18 >> now we're not sure how that is going to be packaged as far as
19 >> systemd is concerned, so it is premature to make that decision.
20 >> However, if we do decide to fork udev then that means we'd almost
21 >> certainly need to have a virtual. At that point we'd have two
22 >> different udev implementations in the tree - the fork and the one
23 >> that comes bundled with systemd.
24 >>
25 >> Where things get dicey is if the two udev implementations start to
26 >> diverge and packages need to behave differently depending on which
27 >> one is installed - that would become a bit of a mess. Hopefully it
28 >> won't come to that.
32 > ..although it possibly could come to that, if the fork maintains
33 > installation in /{bin,sbin,lib} while systemd-udev follows the
34 > upstream move to /usr/{bin,sbin,lib}
35
36 I don't know the devs' familiarity or positions on it (or the history
37 of it here), but it's potentially relevant if you're looking at udev
38 and the /{bin,sbin,lib} vs /usr/{bin,sbin,lib} split.
39
40 Walter Dnes (very active over in gentoo-user) has put a lot of work
41 into testing and documenting mdev as an alternative for udev. There's
42 been a good deal of success there, up to and including it working with
43 GNOME 2. The work's been documented on the wiki:
44 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
47 :wq