From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:06:54
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 01:54:28 -0500 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Saturday 03 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > There is absolutely nothing Paludis specific in PMS. Nor is there
5 > > anything Pkgcore specific, and the only Portage specific content is
6 > > where we feel it's necessary to explain *why* something is a
7 > > particular way when that why is down to a Portage quirk.
8 >
9 > that's fine ... that means we're back to figuring out the deadlines
10 > for the project
11
12 Which brings us back to my initial question.
13
14 Why is PMS considered so important that it might have a deadline
15 imposed upon it by the Council? As far as I'm aware, nothing like this
16 has been done before.
17
18 Now, if there's a good reason for the Council imposing a deadline,
19 there's a pretty decent chance that said deadline will be met. If the
20 Council can justify why it needs PMS done in a hurry, PMS can end up
21 being ready within a very short timeframe. If the Council can't justify
22 the deadline, it will end up being done within a not so short
23 timeframe, since all the PMS authors are working upon several things
24 and won't make PMS top priority without good reason.
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
29 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
30 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/