From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 17:29:59
1 On 9 August 2014 04:58, Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Maintainers have no feedback from their ebuilds, they all do their best
4 > but there are no tools
5 > to formalize their work. No compass. They have no access to user
6 > space where the packages are installed, unaware how users are using their
7 > ebuilds. It's the design
8 > failure that hunts Gentoo from the start - no global intellectual bug
9 > tracking system. Doing not mistakes
10 > - not possible, the automated tracking sub-systems should be there but...
11 > we are where we are.
14 Some of that is doable, ie: we could have installation metrics systems like
15 CPAN has a testers network with a matrix showing where a given thing is
16 failing : http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=CPAN-Meta-Requirements%202.126
17
18 But its a lot of work investment to support.
19
20 And beyond "it installs" and "its tests pass", its piratically infeasible
21 to track software failing beyond there.
22
23 And some of the reasons we have dependency declarations are to avoid
24 problems that will ONLY be seen at runtime and WONT be seen during
25 installation or testing. ( Usually because the problem was found before
26 there were tests for it )
27
28 For that, only manual feedback systems, such as our present bugzilla, are
29 adequate.
33 Kent
34
35 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL