From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:35:39
1 On 24 June 2012 05:16, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> That's covered in the devmanual and in the user documentation, so
4 >> there's no need to repeat it here.
5 >
6 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/index.html
7 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#slot-dependencies
8 >
9 > I don't think the documentation forbids what these developers are
10 > doing. I think you implemented a nice heuristic for your users in your
11 > resolver that used to work because slots had a typical set of users
12 > cases and the heuristic performed well in those cases.
13 >
14 > Now people are occasionally using slots in a different way and your
15 > heuristic penalizes those cases. That sucks, but you might have to
16 > actually change your resolver because I don't think 'funky-slots'
17 > properties is going to garner much adoption. It just appears that the
18 > heuristic you used to use isn't helpful anymore (or has too any false
19 > positives, or whatever.)
23 It seems to me that the defacto understanding of slots is that given 2
24 slots for one package, one slot will be a natural upgrade from another
25 competing slot, assuming a slot that is a version progression.
26
27 This makes sense for most packages.
28
29 However, it seems slots are in some cases being used for purposes
30 other than natural version progressions, and representing siblings
31 instead of child/parent , and in such case, its not logical to want to
32 install a different sibling simply for having a different sibling
33 installed.
34
35 So the request is to have some sort of metadata to optionally convey
36 the intent of what the slot "means", where the defacto method would be
37 "They're versions, if X > Y then X is a natural upgrade from Y, and
38 is slotted for transition and similar reasons" , which would indicate
39 to UA's that if they have Y, and X becomes available, that they will
40 want to install X.
41
42 And there would be the alternative(s), "Funky slots" , where slots
43 DONT indicate version progression, and so should *not* be 'upgraded'
44 to from alternative slots.
45
46 Logical place to store such information to me seems <metadata.xml>
50 Kent
51
52 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
53 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"