From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should unicode be allowed in ebuild metadata variables?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 04:07:29
1 On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> Nevermind, apparently GLEP 31 already requires ASCII anyway:
4 >>
5 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0031.html
6 >>
7 > The way I read that GLEP is that in ChangeLog and metadata.xml
8 > we should accept the full range of UTF-8.
9
10 I read that as "contents of portage tree should be in UTF-8, file
11 paths should be in ASCII"
12
13 "It is proposed that UTF-8 ([1]) is used for encoding ChangeLog and
14 metadata.xml files inside the portage tree."
15
16 "[...]it is proposed that UTF-8 is used as the official encoding for
17 ebuild and eclass files"
18
19 "Patches must clearly be in the same character set as the file they
20 are patching."
21
22 "Characters outside the ASCII 0..127 range cannot safely be used for
23 file or directory names"
24
25 It is also worth mentioning that Python 3K uses UTF-8 as the default
26 encoding for it's files rather than ASCII as Python 2.X did. Why
27 should *we* go backwards? :p
30 ~Nirbheek Chauhan