From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Newbie to Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:38:22
1 On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:58:37 +0200
2 Anan Zeevy <Anan.Zeevy@×××××××××.il> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have bought a copy of the 1.2 Gentoo CD from ComputerHelperGuy and I
7 > wish to install it on my computer.
8 > As a newbie, instead of trying it immediately (and thus miserably failing
9 > and wasting my time) I'd like to know what manuals should I print to have
10 > handy during the installation, and what should I learn before trying to
11 > install Gentoo on my computer.
12 >
13 > My specs:
14 > Mother board: Asus A7V333 (VIA KT333)
15 > CPU: Athlon 1800+ (slightly overclocked)
16 > MEM: 1GB Transcend 333Mhz DDR
17 > HDD: Primary (Master) - Maxtor 80GB
18 > Secondary (Slave) - IBM 20GB unpartitioned, unformatted (intended
19 > for Gentoo)
20 > Graphic: Matrox G400 DH 32MB
21 > Sound: Currently using onboard sound (C-Media 8738), switching to Hercules
22 > Game theater XP (Cirrus Logic CS4630) in a few days.
23 > 2 NICS: 3com 905b (pptp adsl), intel pro 10/100 (lan)
24 > CD-R (master): Plextor (PX-W401240A)
25 > DVD (Slave): Asus (E-616)
26 >
27 > Also, could you please tell me where can I find the instructions for
28 > enabling Hebrew support as in Dan Armak's screenshot ?
29 >
30 As concerning Hebrew support I can't say, but as concerns the installation,
31 be aware that with the gentoo 1.2 iso you won't have pptp support during the
32 first stages of installation.
33
34 With the help of eugenesan I've patched the gentoo 1.2 iso to add pptp
35 support. Couldn't test it myself as I only use pppoe but I suppose it works.
36
37 If you don't have a router, you'd rather use this iso to boot and swap cds
38 if you want to untar stage 2 or stage 3 (this small iso has only stage 1
39 binaries.)
40
41 Go there first :
42
43 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8805
44
45 Please report if it worked for you or not...
46 --
47 Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
48 Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj