From: Brian Webb <webbb@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC3.1 bootstrap fails
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 22:52:10
1 I tried the 1.3-gcc3.1 profile but ran into some problems, and now I can't
2 get any 3.0 profile to work!
3 I first booted from a 1.1a stage1 CD, I then downloaded an untared the
4 1.3-gcc3.1 stage1, changed the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in make.conf to
5 "-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe", and bootstrapped.
6 I soon realized that make.profile was pointing to the default profile when
7 it started building gcc-2.95.3. Since this is a 3.1 bootstrap, it seems
8 like the default make.profile link should be to the 3.0 profile instead,
9 but that wasn't a problem. I started over, remembering to change the
10 make.profile link, and bootstrap finished successfully.
11 There were some errors about info files (this was mentioned in a previous
12 email), but I didn't think much of them. Unfortunately, the "emerge
13 system" step failed when building e2fsprogs because it couldn't find
14 makeinfo.
15 While I was trying to figure out how to build makeinfo I decided to
16 "emerge rsync" just in case something had gotten fixed in the last couple
17 of hours ;-). That's when things really fell apart. After that I
18 couldn't get any emerges to work. I kept getting "Couldn't find match
19 for..." from emerge.
20 At this point I decided that something was really messed up, so decided to
21 start over from a more standard gcc-3.1 bootstrap that worked for me just
22 a day or two ago.
23 I have successfully bootstrapped on a similar system using a 1.1a stage1
24 and the 3.0 make profile as long as I don't change the CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS
25 until the "emerge system" step (after the gcc 3.1 compiler has been
26 built). Unfortunately, this is no longer working either.
27 I now get the "Couldn't find match for..." error messages almost
28 immediately after running bootstrap.sh. The error messages start just
29 after portage has been emerged. Has something recently changed with
30 portage or the gcc 3.0 profile that could have caused this? Any idea how
31 I can fix this?
32 Brian
33
34 > Would be cool if you could try and bootstrap again with
35 > -fomit-frame-pointer, and now use the 1.3-gcc3.1 tarball from ibiblio
36 > (http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/) i just made. If it
37 > fails, i guess we should filter out most of the optimisations... I
38 > think the new gcc3.1-compiled tarball will make all the gcc3.1-users
39 > much happier :o) I also updated the packages file from the gcc 3.1
40 > profile, and the make.defaults. Please keep us posted on any progress!