From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 18:12:48
1 > On Aug 5, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Part of my frustration is that seemingly "anything open source related
7 >> can be held in Gentoo" and I'm somewhat against that as I feel it
8 >> dilutes the Gentoo mission. We are here to make a distribution, not
9 >> maintain random libraries. If you want to do that feel free; but I
10 >> don't see a need for that work to be associated with Gentoo.
13 > Honestly, other than maybe some prestige I don't really get the point
14 > of hosting random software in Gentoo either. These days getting a
15 > repo on github or any of its 47 competitors is a few clicks. You have
16 > zero overhead from a governance standpoint, and a dev can of course
17 > stick ebuilds in the main repository with zero interference. It seems
18 > a lot cleaner from a copyright/etc standpoint as well.
19
20 Prestige is good. We have prestige from our (myself and a few others) work in upstream ZFS and Gentoo is well respected there. You will not hear binary package zealots bashing Gentoo in ZFS circles. If a sub-project that touches the entire OSS community can be even a tenth as effective as the efforts in ZFS have been in eliminating binary package zealotry, it would be well worth it.
21 >
22 > Even openrc is hosted outside of Gentoo these days, which makes perfect sense.
23 >
24 > With the distro as a whole it is a bit more complex, though honestly
25 > I'd love to see us get to a point where the whole thing can be
26 > SECURELY hosted entirely off-infra as well, even if we still chose to
27 > run our own infra. I just see it as a way to both provide options to
28 > our users and ourselves. For the latter, being able to host anything
29 > on an outside service means that if some component of infra goes down
30 > we could have mirrors already running and pulling from infra, or if
31 > for some reason somebody sues us or roots us or whatever we can pick
32 > up and move without much fuss.
33 >
34 > Running your own wiki/bugzilla/lists/etc was about the only way to do
35 > things in the 90s/etc, but these days there are other options...
36 >
37 > --
38 > Rich