From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:20:43
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1150292057.16946.21.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 14 Jun 2006 09:34:16 -0400:
4
5 > Abusing loopholes in the rules doesn't make something "right".
6
7 Agreed. However, it then points out the need for a rules change.
8
9 >> Meanwhile, the Project Sunrise overlay /is/ a project specific overlay,
10 >> and /is/ maintained by the project in question (Sunrise). That has been
11 >> specifically stated in the Project Sunrise formulation.
12 >
13 > Correct. However, it is attempting to work with ebuilds/packages that
14 > are owned by other projects currently. *This* is my objection.
15
16 But if they aren't in the tree, they aren't part of a herd, and therefore
17 can't really be owned by a project, particularly if that project has had a
18 chance to put it in the tree and hasn't taken it (whether due to lack of
19 manpower or whatever). Now, there's a difference between an active
20 rejection -- this is not fit for the tree nor can it be and here's why --
21 and a simple lack of manpower rejection, which is why giving the project
22 that might normally take it over if it were to be in the tree dibs on
23 accepting/rejecting it is good, but a default to being available for
24 sunrise to sponsor if the project doesn't respond either way within a
25 reasonable time (which would indicate a lack of manpower or interest in
26 doing so, thus leaving it available should others choose to do so) seems
27 reasonable within context.
28
29 Not that I have any immediate plans to use it at this time, but I could
30 conceivably use it for one or more single packages -- tho I expect I'll be
31 examining each individual ebuild as I merge and upgrade it if I do -- the
32 security issues are real to me too, and I'm not quite /that/ insane. =8^)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list