From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Andreas HAttel (dilfridge)" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in eclass: ChangeLog perl-module.eclass
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:08:23
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Also, CVS gets your name wrong. I wonder how it is possible with such
4 > an awesome modern piece of technology ;).
7 CVS itself does support unicode in the commit messages. I have no
8 idea where the name comes from in the emails that go out, however, as
9 the actual rcs files only contain a username (aside from whatever is
10 in the commit message itself).
11
12 The git migration uses whatever name and email address are in LDAP
13 when doing the migration from cvs usernames, so anybody who cares
14 about such things should make sure they are correct there. Correct
15 handling of unicode was something we did check in the migration
16 scripts, so if you have unicode in your name or in a commit message,
17 it will show up correctly in git.
18
19 I think that the contents of future git commits (after the migration)
20 are controlled client-side. We can of course validate them on the
21 server, but if we want to preserve signatures then they have to be
22 right before they are pushed.
25 Rich