From: "Craig M. Reece" <craigthulu@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Desktop Configuration Guide
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 05:35:37
1 On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:58:59AM +0100, Thilo Bangert spoke thusly:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > in the last paragraph before chapter 4 (Mail), the document says to
5 > delete ~/.kde and ~/Desktop
6 >
7 > this is not necessary and can result in the loss of important data!
8 > many/all kde programms save their data & settings in ~/.kde
9 > (korganizer, kaddressbook etc) and this might get lost.
10 >
11 > it would be safer to say to delete ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and
12 > ~/.kde/share/config/kmix:* (sessions)
15 Since you brought this up... There is a little problem with leaving the
16 .kde directory there. The system will completely step on it when it
17 creates a .kde2 (or possibly .kde3?) directory and then turns .kde into
18 a symlink pointing to .kde2 (I did lose all my kde old settings until I
19 could get access to my backup). This is a huge pain if you have kmail
20 setup with lots of providers and you leave the addressbook in the
21 default location (I already learned my lesson about those two apps so no
22 loss for me this time ;). Also, konqueror stores all of its cookies,
23 bookmarks, cache, etc. in the .kde tree (I now use Galeon [by the way,
24 thanks to Gentoo, I could never get this to compile myself before] so
25 this also isn't a big deal to me anymore).