From: Corentin Chary <iksaif@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kentfredric@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] euscan GSoC project - requesting feedback
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:14:35
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:07:58 +1200
3 > Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 27 June 2012 19:51, Federico "fox" Scrinzi <fox91@×××××.no> wrote:
6 >> > The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?
7 >> > Currently (in the development version) there's the possibility to
8 >> > login and watch/unwatch packages/categories/herds/... and see the
9 >> > watched stuff in the account dashboard. We're planning on
10 >> > implementing a weekly(?) custom newsletter based on the packages
11 >> > you're watching, which features would you like?
12 >> >
13 >> > The project repo for the GSoC is here:
14 >> > https://github.com/volpino/euscan
15 >> >
16 >> > Thanks!
17 >> >
18 >>
19 >> For the most part it seems to get upstream / portage versioning right,
20 >> but occasionally you get miss-matches for some reason.
21 >>
22 >> It would be nice to allow to provide some mapping mechanism that
23 >> existed on the overlay itself to inform euscan how to map upstream
24 >> versions to downstream ones, but implementing that would be far too
25 >> complex I feel.
26 >>
27 >> Instead, it would be nice to have a mechanism in the interface to set
28 >> a "Upstream version is" value for each package if euscan can't tell.
29 >>
30 >> Ie:
31 >>
32 >> http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/HTML-TreeBuilder-LibXML/
33 >>
34 >> Upstream is 0.71 , portage is ( normalised ) to 0.710.0 , and these
35 >> are in fact the same version. So in 0.710.0 , it would be nice to be
36 >> able to set the upstream version manually to 0.71 so that euscan no
37 >> longer reported it as outdated.
38 >
39 > I think we could actually handle perl pretty easily. I believe euscan
40 > will start using CPAN API to check the package versions, and we can
41 > embed the normalization there.
42
43 It's already the case:
44 https://github.com/iksaif/euscan/blob/master/pym/euscan/handlers/cpan.py
45 but my mangling functions are probably broken in some cases. If
46 somebody with a better knowledge of CPAN versionning scheme could fix
47 them it would be great !
48
49 Thanks,