From: Sebastian Werner <sebastian@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-dev] some additions to portage/ebuild and some other nice thingys i'dd like :)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:23:13
1 Rebuild Dependecies - a really good idea. I wonder that Gentoo don't save
2 package-information in a database like db3 or postres. It's not really fast
3 to search hundrets of ebuild-files or?
4
5 Sebastian
6
7 -----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
8 Von: gentoo-dev-admin@g.o [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@g.o]Im
9 Auftrag von troxx@××××××××.nl
10 Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. April 2001 20:10
11 An: gentoo-dev@g.o
12 Betreff: [gentoo-dev] some additions to portage/ebuild and some other
13 nice thingys i'dd like :)
16 Hiya all,
17
18 Just a few things i'dd like to see in RC5 (or earlier):
19 at this point there are a few reason's why the system can get un-optimized
20 or just not-working.
21 One reason is that if libraries get updated that were STATICALLY linked in
22 other packages, those packages don't get rebuilt automatically... this is
23 not good. So packages that depend on it should be rebuilt... But there is
24 one thing to think about... it's NOT always needed... for example if perl
25 gets updated we don't want all packages that depend on it to get updated...
26 so there has to be a flag in the ebuild-files that specifies wheter or not a
27 package needs to be rebuilt if a dependancy gets updated... so for example
28 add a ! to the dependancy-name...
29 Then the ebuild update command will have to walk through all packages and
30 look if any !marked dependancies got updated... and if so, rebuild the
31 package... the reason why i'dd like ebuild update to do it is that i don't
32 want to do it automatically if i update some library... takes to much
33 time(and it means ebuild will have to search through the entire db every
34 time)
35
36 The second reason why the system gets unoptimized or uncomplete is due to
37 changes in the USE variable...
38 Of cource we don't want the entire system to be rebuilt after echt
39 USE-change... so we need "ebuild update" to remember the previous state of
40 USE, and compare it to the current one. And after that it should rebuild
41 ONLY the packages that are affected. For this another enhancement to
42 ebuild-files is needed... a field to specify what USE-parameters affect the
43 package (this also allows nice GUI's in the future to ask you if you want to
44 toggle some USE-switches if you select the package).
47 Another thing that would be nice is a way to see if packages got updated
48 (not ebuild-files, but real sources).
49 This would allow people to easily see what ebuild-files have to be
50 updated...
51 I know rock-linux allready has the script for it (to check on
52 source-locations, for ALL versions available) which can be modified to check
53 for NEWER versions only...
54
55 I'm sorry for bugging about missing things i'dd like to see... It's not that
56 I'm too lazy to implement them myself, I would love to... but I need some
57 practise on scripting for now...
58 Just think those additions would make gentoo really the king of
59 distributions :)
60
61 bye!
62 /troxx