From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: polynomial-c@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] upstreams that release lzip compressed tarballs (tar.lz) only
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:44:07
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Dnia 2014-02-20, o godz. 14:12:17
4 > Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >
6 > > So what can we do? Three solutions came to my mind which I list
7 > > here in the order first being my favorite, last being my least
8 > > favorite:
9 > >
10 > > 1.)
11 > > Make portage's unpack function lzip compatible
12 >
13 > Three packages still don't sound like something to add to EAPI. Even
14 > with ten, I would have my doubts. Reading the whole thread, lzip
15 > doesn't seem like it's going to live long. Trying to artificially force
16 > it upon people is only going to give opposite results.
17 >
18 > > 2.)
19 > > Fix this on ebuild level:
20 > > - add app-arch/lzip to DEPEND
21 > > - add something like
22 > > 'tar --lzip -xf "${DISTDIR}"/${P}.tar.lz || die'
23 > > to a custom src_unpack() function.
24 >
25 > Either that, or add it to unpacker.eclass and use it. That's the place
26 > where we handle all the random cruft, and where we can fix it as
27 > problems arise.
28 >
29 > > 3.)
30 > > Provide all affected source tarballs ourselves in a portage compatible
31 > > compressed format.
32 >
33 > I think that'd be a waste of effort, to be honest. I think using lzip
34 > (and lzip only) is the problem, and we shouldn't bury it like this.
37 I agree that this idea is a bad one, I recommend 2 or 4. 1 is obviously not
38 going to happen without more lzip adoption.
42 > > 4.)
43 > > Try very hard to convince upstream to provide sources in differently
44 > > compressed tarballs.
45 >
46 > If you can't convince them yourself, let our users do that. Gentoo is
47 > pretty specific in the way people handle extra dependencies they find
48 > unnecessary :).
49 >
50 > --
51 > Best regards,