From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] slang v.s. ncurses
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:44:06
1 This is not supposed to start a flame-fest, but I need some advice.
2
3 As of mutt-1.5.10-r1, the slang use flag is ignored and ncurses is used
4 instead. After checking out bugs #96603 #102558 #57416 (mentioned in the
5 ChangeLog as the reasoning behind the no-slang decision) I got some idea
6 as to why -- ncurses provides more features, slang was only supposed to
7 be a minimalist replacement for ncurses, etc.
8
9 However, I am used to the control-s shortcut to send spam to a folder,
10 which spamassassin learns from.
11
12 ^S macro s=spam-learn\r
13
14 This magic key sequence works fine with my slang-linked mutt, but it
15 does not with a ncurses-linked mutt. I am aware what Control-S is
16 supposed to do historically. I did some googling around and found out
17 that people were having similar problems with emacs where ^s is used for
18 searching. Unfortunately, all the advice they got was "use a different
19 shortcut mapping". Well, I *will* do that, eventually, but is there no
20 way to get Control-S working with ncurses? I don't care about the
21 historical reasons for ^s, and I did have it working until recently. I
22 feel cheated by the switch to ncurses in this respect.
25 (* Georgi Georgiev (* Q: What do Winnie the Pooh and John the (*
26 *) chutz@×××.net *) Baptist have in common? A: The same middle *)
27 (* +81(90)2877-8845 (* name. (*
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list