From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New virtual: virtual/pcmcia
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:28:50
1 Hi,
2
3 Starting from linux-2.6.13-rc1 the PCMCIA subsystem has been patched to
4 exports certain internals to sysfs, which allows using hotplug for
5 handling insertion/ejection of 16bit PCMCIA cards.
6
7 For this to work, a new package called pcmciautils [1] will need to be
8 added to portage. Therefore, a new virtual/pcmcia (which will default to
9 sys-apps/pcmcia-cs in base/virtuals for now) will be added as well.
10
11 I have had sys-apps/pcmciautils in my portage overlay [2] for quite a
12 while now, just waiting for the needed functionality to be merged into
13 Linus' tree.
14
15 The linux-mod eclass will be changed to depend on virtual/pcmcia for
16 pcmcia support. Future ebuilds that just need a PCMCIA card manager
17 should depend on virtual/pcmcia as well.
18
19 If anybody has any objections and/or questions to this new virtual,
20 please drop me an e-mail.
21
22 Sincerely,
23 Brix
24
25 [1]: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/
26 [2]: http://dev.gentoo.org/~brix/files/overlay/
27 --
28 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
29 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd