From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] rsync.gentoo.org rsync modules: gentoo-repo-changelog added, gentoo-x86-portage & gentoo-sec discontinued.
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 12:52:02
1 Hello fellow devs,
2
3 Le dimanche 30 octobre 2016 à 02:54 +0000, Robin H. Johnson a écrit :
4 > As part of the upcoming change to no longer distribute ChangeLogs in
5 > the
6 > main tree, Infra would like to announce some updates to the rsync
7 > modules.
8 >
9 > 1.
10 > The following legacy modules are hereby discontinued.
11 > - rsync.gentoo.org::gentoo-sec
12 > - rsync.gentoo.org::gentoo-x86-portage
13 >
14 > 'gentoo-sec' was a 2004-era attempt at distributing Gentoo developer
15 > GPG keyrings. There have been no sync attempts recorded on any of the
16 > rsync.gentoo.org nodes in over 2 years, and the material therein all
17 > dates to 2004 only.
18 >
19 > 'gentoo-x86-portage' was the older name of the 'gentoo-portage'
20 > module,
21 > and was maintained as an alias. For the 2016 calender year to date,
22 > there have been only 11 attempts to fetch the legacy name from any of
23 > the rsync.gentoo.org official nodes.
24 >
25 > Community mirrors (rsyncN.CC.gentoo.org) are encouraged to drop the
26 > old
27 > modules at their convenience.
28 >
29 > 2.
30 > Approximately 2016/Nov/01, a new module will be available:
31 > - rsync.gentoo.org::gentoo-repo-changelog
32 > This module will contain the same directory structure as the
33 > repo/gentoo
34 > tree (gentoo-portage module), but will ONLY contain ChangeLog files.
35 > The update schedule may have gaps exceeding 6 hours initially.
36 >
37 > Community mirrors (rsyncN.CC.gentoo.org) can prepare to mirror the
38 > new
39 > module at their convenience.
40 >
41 > 3.
42 > Not sooner than 2016/Nov/15, ChangeLogs will be removed from the
43 > 'gentoo-portage' rsync module. They may or may not still be
44 > referenced
45 > by the thick Manifests.
46
47 Since this mail went out, I could not find an explanation of how to get
48 the changelogs back with regular emerge --sync over rsync.
49
50 Searching the wiki raised no answer or links with outdated information.
51
52 Playing with repos.conf lead nowhere except to complaints that the
53 gentoo-repo-changelog had the same name than gentoo-portage.
54
55 I tried asking #gentoo-dev but the best answer I was given was to
56 switch to git clone and to generate the changelogs myself. Problem is,
57 I am not always on a dev machine or on a machine that can spare these
58 CPU cycles so it does not seem appropriate.
59
60 Is there any way to get this back that doesn't involve extra operations
61 over emerge --sync ?
64 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>