From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: dedicated USE-flag is inconsequent and confusing
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 01:07:49
1 Albert Zeyer <albert.zeyer@×××××××××××.de> posted
2 1210861450.3957.24.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Thu, 15 May 2008
3 16:24:10 +0200:
4
5 > I also don't like no* USE-flags that much. But there are already a lot
6 > available. I thought they were introduced because it's most probable
7 > that you want to have the specific support and if not, you have to
8 > specify this explicitly.
9
10 The no* USE flags are deprecated and headed toward legacy-only, due to
11 portage support of USE defaults being so new and there being no way to
12 default to "on", for those packages where it made the most sense,
13 previously. However, AFAIK USE defaults are an EAPI=1 feature, and thus
14 not quite yet encouraged for the general tree. That said, new versions
15 of many packages with no* USE flags have them removed in favor of USE
16 defaults. When EAPI=1 portage and the newer USE defaults versions of
17 these packages have been stable for a period and as the by then legacy
18 versions fade out, positive based USE defaults will ultimately replace
19 most or all of the current no* flags.
20
21 All as I understand it as not-a-dev-but-a-regular-dev-list-reader.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list