From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: justin <jlec@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:01:48
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM, justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the descriptions of USE flags should explain what the USE is good for.
5 > In my opinion some thing like
6 >
7 > Enables foo intergration
8 > or
9 > Enables support for foo
10 >
11 > if it isn't totally clear what "foo" is, sucks!! There are many, many
12 > description which do not tell me as a user without googling what I could
13 > enable or not. That doesn't make gentoo very user friendly!
14 >
15 > So please enhance you descriptions!!
18 > Thanks justin
19
20 One USE flag I remember in particular bothering me was
21 gnome-extra/gnome-games' guile USE flag.
22
23 The global description says "guile - Adds support for the guile Scheme
24 interpreter" but this flag is actually determines whether a number of
25 games are installed by this package.
26
27 There are lots of cases like this that need a local use flag that says
28 what each flag actually does for the package.
29
30 Matt