From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:44:03
1 On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 13:58 +0100, Grobian wrote:
2 > A lot Gentoo users I know read gentoo-announce and the GWN.
3
4 But *many* more don't. That's what we learned from the Apache package
5 refresh, and what we've also learned from the PHP5 work.
6
7 > Works fine for me.
8
9 What works for you is irrelevant to this conversation.
10
11 What matters is getting news out to 100% of our userbase - or as near to
12 that as possible. Saying that it works for you, and so there isn't a
13 problem, isn't a useful contribution.
14
15 > The GLEP *is* targetted at a certain group of people
16
17 It is targeted at every single Gentoo user. Without exception or
18 discrimination.
19
20 > What the GLEP does is twofold:
21 > 1. Suggest special (**important**) news items to be accepted within
22 > Gentoo, and them being stored somewhere
23 > 2. Desparately push this news to users, because it seems that they don't
24 > read information which is not available (yet! see 1).
25
26 The information was available via several sources, but this did not
27 reach a wide enough audience. As a result, we're proposing a new
28 mechanism for delivering news - one that we believe will be much more
29 successful.
30
31 > So thank you for letting me realise that this GLEP should be splitted in
32 > two.
33
34 No thanks.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Stu
38 --
39 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
40 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
41 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
42
43 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
44 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C