From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 12:48:34
1 On 10 May 2016 at 00:23, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > which introduces some of the uncleanliness of non-rebased
3 > merge commits. In general I'm a fan of rebasing merge commits.
6 Non-rebased merge commits are worst when the merge involves a
7 collision resolution.
8
9 While you can in theory rebase merge commits with rebase --preserve,
10 my experience has shown me that its very difficult to get right, and
11 the presence of merge collisions in the "preserved" rebase risks
12 getting the conflict resolution lost mid-rebase, which is not entirely
13 helpful.
14
15 If there was something we could feasibly put hard software policy
16 constraints against without any subjective "but but but" cases, it
17 would be these cases of "merge included conflicts".
20 Kent
21
22 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL