From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: trimming the @system set [was: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set]
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 19:50:17
1 On 09/05/2014 13:34, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > there is a bug open requesting that we add sys-apps/iproute2 to the
5 > system set [1]. Originally the request was to drop net-tools, but it has
6 > become just adding iproute2.
7 >
8 > If no one objects, I would like to do this sometime in the next 72
9 > hours by adding sys-apps/iproute2 to profiles/default/linux/packages.
10 >
11 > Thoughts?
12 >
13 > William
14 >
15 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/189149
16
17 I questioned on the original bug on net-tools vs iproute2, because netstat
18 and ss each support different protocol families, and so compliment each
19 other instead of replace. The same might not hold true for other components
20 of each package.
21
22 That said, the thread had deviated towards discussion on the makeup of the
23 @system set in general, so let's rename the thread (or at least fork() it).
24 IMHO, I think @system should maintain at least one editor and include some
25 kind of networking diagnostic package. Even on the slower archs like MIPS,
26 building either net-tools or iproute2 isn't asking a whole lot. Faster
27 archs even less so. As far as editor, nano is my preference because it just
28 works for quick edits, but an argument can be made for swapping that out
29 with a minimal vim (which doesn't require ncurses).
32 Joshua Kinard
33 Gentoo/MIPS
34 kumba@g.o
35 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
36
37 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
38 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
39
40 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic