From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember to specify SLOT when adding subslot operator to dependencies
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 16:03:57
1 On 6/08/2013 01:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I suspect most maintainers would rather upgrade their package once to
3 > EAPI5 and not keep checking back every month to see if there is a new
4 > opportunity to add another slot operator dep. If maintainers don't
5 > add them up-front even with the deps don't support them, chances are
6 > they'll never add them.
7 Historically, I have seen library maintainers asking consumer
8 maintainers to add the subslot operator, where appropriate, after
9 correctly implementing the subslot.
10
11 > How often does this situation even come up? If 9/10 times the
12 > libraries are set up as maintainers expect them to be, it is probably
13 > better to deal with the odd unnecessary rebuild until somebody spots
14 > it, rather than going without support for slot operator deps.
15 With respect, "good enough" is not a very high standard to aim for. In
16 my opinion, adding unnecessary subslot dependencies is no different to
17 adding overly-wide dependencies.
18
19 We already have preserved-libs to prevent breakage. Subslots should be
20 an improvement on this, not causing a regression.