From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: jhuntnz@×××××××××××××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Size of downloads for emerge
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:41:12
1 > I do emerge over a modem and sometimes I'd like to get an idea of how
2 > much downloading an emerge is going to be. Is there any way of doing
3 > this. eg emerge -p update world tells me what packages will be updated
4 > but gives me no clue as to how many megs will be coming down my phone
5 > line. Is there any way of getting this info easy?
6
7 No easy way as I know about, but each "package" has a files-directory
8 where there are digest-files for all files each ebuild-revision needs. In
9 the digestfile both a md5-checksum and the filesize for each file an
10 ebuild needs is noted.
11
12 I wouldn't be surprised if someone already has written a script that takes
13 a package-name as argument, reads the corresponding digestfile and sum up
14 the filesizes for all files not in /usr/portage/distfiles - but then again
15 I haven't seen it :)
16
17 All the best,
18