From: Jose Alberto Suarez Lopez <bass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adapting webmin and usermin
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 04:09:50
1 On 05 Jun 2002 04:38:14 +0100
2 Chris Davies <c.davies@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 |Hi,
5 |
6 |I've actually been doing just this for a couple of days now.. I'm not
7 |really ready to go public with the resulting patch and ebuild but I
8 |suppose this might be a good time to ask a few questions that come into
9 |my head.
10 |
11 |1) I am currently using the directory /opt/webmin as an installation
12 |dir. I appreciate that Gentoo wants to keep /opt for binaries only, and
13 |that webmin does not technically qualify as a binary distribution, but
14 I
15 |think it comes damn close. Does anyone agree/disagree with this view,
16 |and if you disagree, where should webmin go?
17
18 /opt is a good choice, but i think that it can be best /var
21 |2) SSL. Perl doesn't pay any attention to the ssl use flag as far as I
22 |am aware, so my strategy has been to have Perl grab the SSL module from
23 |CPAN if the use var is set, and then configure webmin with support for
24 |same. Again, comments? Suggestions?
25
26 well if you can use the USE variable cool :)
27
28 |3) What distribution should be chosen as a close approximation of
29 |Gentoo. I choose Redhat 7.2 as my first guess, and then later upgraded
30 |to .3 and I haven't noticed anything obviously broken, but extensive
31 |testing would be required before I'd let this anywhere near portage.
32 |Suggestions? Volunteers for testing? :)
33
34 i thinks that debian, slackware, o inclusive freebsd are more exact that
35 redhat
36
37 |4) I presumed that Webmin should not automatically be started on boot,
38 |that stuff should be handled by the user and whatever their preference
39 |of inetd or xinetd is, is this the correct approach?
40
41 you can do a simple script to do it
42
43 |5) License. Webmin uses a strange one, but not one that is restrictive.
44 |I presume it is OK just to add an entry in Gentoo's Lisencing dir
45 |specifically for Webmin and its kin.
46
47 yes, it can be usefull for others webmin products, like usermin.
48
49 when you finish with webmin, can be interesting adapt too usermin :)
50
51 contact with Maciek <maciek@×××××××.net>, he wants to help :)
54 José Alberto Suárez López
55 --