From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 05:05:00
1 On 5 April 2010 08:13, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 5 April 2010 03:13, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 >> Really, you're mostly making a case for a graphical XML editor like Beacon, rather than making a case for a wiki. :)
5 >
6 > That would already be a big improvement, yes.
7 >
8 >> That's your problem, then. Do you know what semantic means?
9 >
10 > Yes, I do. No need to be condescending.
11 >
12 >> But you're not a web author,
13 >
14 > I am, altho not as active lately.
15 >
16 >> Why the hell do you keep bringing up HTML? Stop comparing GuideXML with HTML. Treat them as two separate languages, please.
17 >
18 > Because clearly GuideXML is based on HTML. And anyone who knows HTML
19 > will likely be confused by some features of GuideXML. I can't treat
20 > them as completely separate, as there is too much overlap.
21 >
22 >> I only mentioned GuideXML in the context of "it's easier to learn because it has fewer tags than HTML" -- you operate under the mistaken assumption that GuideXML should be *like* HTML,
23 >
24 > No, I wish it weren't, but it *is* like HTML.
25 >
26 >> and that HTML has too many tags.
27 >
28 > I never said that.
29 >
30 >> You assume that everyone comes from an HTML background and thus will be confused by GuideXML.
31 >
32 > I would think that most people that become involved with Gentoo have
33 > most likely been exposed to some HTML coding.
34
35 You guys should take a while to cool off at this stage.
36
37 Quite frankly, the documentation project is just another open source
38 project - if anyone wants to change how things are done, the only real
39 way to do that is join the team, prove that you are dedicated and
40 committed, and promote change from the inside.
41
42 Cheers,
43 --
44 Arun Raghavan
45 http://arunraghavan.net/
46 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)