From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 08:49:08
1 On 24 June 2012 06:50, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
2 > Le samedi 23 juin 2012 à 18:30 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
3 >>
4 >> It treats -r300 as being newer than -r200, and so will treat "the gtk3
5 >> version" or "the jruby version" as being newer versions of "the gtk2
6 >> version" or "the ruby 1.8 version", just as it tries to bring in a
7 >> newer GCC and so on.
8 >
9 > I'm stopping my reading of this thread a minute to answer here.
10 >
11 > This is actually true when you think of it, gtk3 bindings are newer than
12 > gtk2.
13
14 Now you're playing with semantics. In the case of -r200/-r300 we
15 are talking about the *exact same* $PV, but for some reason
16 the revision numbers are confusingly abused for something
17 that we normally use useflags for (toggling support for specific
18 toolkits for example).
19
20 Please stop abusing revision numbers for something they are
21 not meant to convey. And please stop pushing developers to
22 drop perfectly legal usage of the gtk3 useflag.
25 Cheers,
26
27 Ben | yngwin
28 Gentoo developer