From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass: lacking sources, config checks and module building
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:42:12
1 On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:28:11AM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > >It does NOT check /proc/config.gz presently. The original logic against
4 > >not checking /proc was that we were targeting the kernel being built,
5 > >but that's moot given the use of `uname -r` in OUTPUT_DIR.
6 > That seems like a bug. OUTPUT_DIR should default to unset which
7 > would cause the internal KV_OUT_DIR to be set to KV_DIR. However I
8 > can see from the code that's not the case, and it's not clear why.
9 It's messy. I'll maybe tackle it after I'm done the work on configs and
10 USE=modules.
11
12 > Relying on "uname -r" or /proc/config.gz is still something we
13 > should avoid (unless user configured, perhaps, or in very
14 > exceptional circumstances) however it looks like this isn't a change
15 > that you are proposing.
16 The only time I'm saying that uname -r and /proc/config.gz are looked
17 as, is where there is no kernel sources or they are installed but not
18 configured. But that is as part of a larger body of work to fix up all
19 packages that are merely checking the kernel options during build, not
20 relying on the config to build.
21
22 Kernel modules still require configured sources to be installed.
23
24 > Thanks for working on this. It's a sensitive area so please take
25 > care and help people pick up the pieces. If you are really
26 > motivated, it might be worth rethinking the whole separate output
27 > directory implementation.
28 For anybody following this, we're doing the work on two tracker bugs:
29 283320 - Changes to linux-info
30 283900 - USE=modules change for linux-mod and packages.
31
32 We've got the core eclass stuff done, but not enabled yet.
33
34 If you want to test it it:
35 1. mv your .config or entire kernel sources away
36 2. I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=1 emerge udev
37
38 You should get warnings, but no errors.
41 Robin Hugh Johnson
42 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
43 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
44 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85