From: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:24:48
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've checked the documentation and man pages and couldn't find what I
4 was looking for. If I've missed something, please point me in the
5 right direction.
6
7 I've been trying to figure out if it is possible to have all emerges
8 (especially the builds) to be done as a non-root user, and have the
9 process call sudo (or similar) only for the final merge. All
10 downloading, unpacking, compiling and installing to the fake target
11 should be doable without root permissions. So, you'd just need to be
12 in the portage group, and be configured in sudo.
13
14 This is similar to what is possible in OpenBSD, with a setting in
15 /etc/mk.conf. This allows regular users to build ports, or even the
16 whole system. Debian allows something similar using fakeroot, which
17 allows non-root users to build packages. Probably the OpenBSD
18 approach would work best for gentoo. A similar setting could be added
19 to make.conf to indicate how to gain root permissions (i.e. by calling
20 sudo, or something else.)
21
22 This is desirable both for security reasons and just to avoid
23 accidentally trashing the system because of a broken build script, for
24 example.
25
26 If this currently possible, and if not, what do people think? If
27 there's no major obections or issues, I'd be happy to open a bug.
28
29 Thanks,
30
31