From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:57:30
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > * repoman must be run from all related directories (or the top-level
3 > directory) on the latest commit that is being pushed
4
5 This should be clarified. Does repoman need to be run on the exact
6 commit that is being pushed, or perhaps on a "parent" commit prior to
7 rebasing/merging into the master branch? (I use parent liberally
8 here, since that commit wouldn't be an actual parent if it were
9 rebased.)
10
11 The reason I ask is that repoman takes a while to run (especially on
12 the full tree), and if we don't want non-fast-forward pushes then
13 you'll have to keep repeating the pull ; merge ; repoman ; push cycle
14 until you finally complete it in less time than it takes somebody else
15 to do a push. Today people do not run on the tree as it exists the
16 instant before commit because cvs makes no guarantees about tree
17 consistency at all (basically cvs is like git configured to accept
18 non-fast-forward commits).
21 > == branching model ==
22 >
23 > * the primary production-ready branch is master (users will pull from
24 > here), there are no non-fast-forward pushes allowed
25 > * there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
26 > branches etc (there are currently no specific rules about them)
27
28 I suggest we at least toss out some kind of naming convention to prevent chaos.
29 How about dev/<name> as the namespace for devs acting as individuals
30 (devs can do whatever they want below this), and project/<name> as the
31 namespace for projects (which can also do whatever they want below
32 this). If we missed anything devs should discuss on-list before just
33 creating random branch names. I don't really want to contrain what
34 people do here - just try to organize it at least a tiny bit.
37 Rich