From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, rphillips@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:17:27
1 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> said:
2 > Hi Ryan,
3 >
4 > Ryan Phillips wrote:
5
6 > >__Problem: Developer Growth__
7
8 > I've seen ebuilds from people who have written quite a bunch of ebuilds
9 > and were really interested in understanding how they work, but the work
10 > they produced just was awful and hurt my eyes. I don't mean that the
11 > mean way, I don't expect anything else, and I was just the same.
12 > However, the mentoring process and the quiz have helped me a lot to
13 > understand not-so-obvious problems.
14 >
15 > >All these reasons leave the project stagnant and lacking developers.
16 >
17 > I wouldn't say so. Just about two weeks or so ago, the recruiters had to
18 > defer new requests, because they couldn't deal with them in a timely
19 > fashion. You can now tell me that this makes it even worse, but I just
20 > see that as the proove of the fact that people are interested in helping
21 > us and ready to take the quiz and all the "hassle" involved with
22 > becoming a dev.
23 >
24 > Another good reason to keep the current process is the fact that a lot
25 > of people become dev and vanish a week after their mentoring period
26 > expired. These people would better contribute to the project in a more
27 > distant way IMHO, because it takes up a fair amount of time to clean up
28 > these accounts afterwards. If you don't beleave me, ask kloeri. ;)
29
30 I revised my earlier statement to say consistent involvement for ~6
31 months. That is more reasonable.
32
33 > >Perhaps its because of a live tree...
34 >
35 > That's surely a big factor.
36 >
37 > >__Problem: Live Tree__
38 > >
39 > >Having a live tree requires people to be perfect. People are not perfect
40 > >and
41 > >requiring it is ridiculous. I love having commits in my local tree within
42 > >the
43 > >hour, but having a stable and unstable branch makes a lot of sense.
44 >
45 > It doesn't require people to be perfect. It requires people to think
46 > before commiting. If it really required us to be perfect, we wouldn't
47 > exist in the first place, would we?
48
49 I disagree. By committing something to the current tree it has the
50 ability to effect a lot of people. What happens when we need to reverse a
51 commit? It isn't that easy with CVS.
54 > Having a stable and unstable branch doesn't have many advantages over
55 > stable and unstable keywords IMHO, but requires a HUUUGE effort to keep
56 > them in sync. It would make things more complicated than necessary. You
57 > say we're lacking developers. Do you really want to spend [insert random
58 > big number here] of these much-needed developer hours to merging an old
59 > with a new tree?
60
61 Stable and unstable keywords are a hack on top of a version control
62 system. We wouldn't have them if gentoo used an SCM that supports true
63 branches. There would be no need.
64
65 It doesn't take much time for a herd to say that this branch is stable
66 for the production tree and do an svn merge or similar. It isn't a
67 full time job.
68
69 > >Conflict resolution should not be a subproject. It should *not* exist at
70 > >all.
71 >
72 > You mean conflicts or conflict solution shouldn't exist at all?
73 > If the former, that's unrealistic. If the latter, why not?
74
75 We need a policy so that we can resolve our conflicts. There are two
76 types of conflicts. Personal and Technical. Personal conflicts can
77 be resolved simply; a vote, and be done with it. Technical conflicts
78 need to be resolved by a voting process so that we can move forward.
79
80 Check out the apache voting page I linked to before.
81
82 > >Rules need to be in place to avoid conflict. Having some sort of voting
83 > >structure for all the developers (this doesn't mean requiring everyone to
84 > >vote)
85 > >and not just the council or devrel makes a lot of sense for most things.
86 > >If I
87 > >don't like how someone is acting within the project there should be a vote
88 > >and
89 > >then see if that person is kicked out. No trial, no anything besides a
90 > >vote.
91 > >And if I lose I have to deal with it. Either stay with the project, or
92 > >find
93 > >something else. This solution just works.
94 >
95 > Do you really think just because 60% of the voting devs agreed on
96 > something the other 40% will like it suddenly?
97
98 yes, a majority rule.
99
100 > Conflicts cannot be
101 > avoided, other than shooting down all people which don't share your
102 > point of view.
103
104 We need to minimize the conflict and make it easier to overcome those
105 conflicts. Having a voting structure would do that.
106
107 > >__Problem: GLEPs__
108 > >
109 > >I dislike GLEPs. Usually they sit on the website for a long long time not
110 > >doing anything. My vote (+1) is get rid of gleps and do everything by
111 > >email
112 > >and a vote by the developers. AFAIK, the board votes on the GLEPs. Bad
113 > >Idea.
114 > >It stifles things from getting done, and there is no ownership of who is
115 > >going
116 > >to implement the idea.
117 >
118 > I dislike them too. However, you're not addressing the issue IMHO. The
119 > problem is not that the council votes on them. The problem is much more
120 > that they are proposed to the whole dev community. Yes, you read right.
121 > It's mostly a good thing, but it is also a show stopper. I once wrote up
122 > a GLEP, sent it to the dev ml. Some people liked it, others wanted this
123 > or that changed. I re-submitted it, and they criticised this and that
124 > (which is a good thing!). So I fixed all the stuff they pointed out. In
125 > the end, I had a GLEP. But what I documented was not the idea I wanted
126 > to implement. So I lost interest. The GLEP got approved, but it's still
127 > not implemented. I don't know if anybody is working on it, I wont,
128 > because it's no longer what I once wanted to push forward.
129
130 This is because Gentoo wants to make everyone happy. We will have
131 conflict. We should have a vote and decide. Your example is
132 perfectly stating the frustration I have.
133
134 > I would like it much more, if the people who are not affected by the
135 > GLEP wouldn't read it at all anyway. Whenever something is discussed I'm
136 > not involved in or affected by at all, I try to keep my mouth shut. I
137 > just trust the guys who submitted it to do their job the right way. And
138 > IMHO, this is exactly the point. Trust the others to do their job
139 > seriously and well. We don't need a whole dev community voting on an
140 > idea. Having everybody vote instead of a 7-headed council won't reduce
141 > politicalness. And that was what all your mail was about, in the end.
144 I didn't mention everyone had to vote. There can be lazy consesus.
145
146 > >__Problem: Voting__
147 >
148 > Heh, really don't need to comment on that one anymore. ;)
149
150 I think it is the solution.
151
152 -ryan