From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:28:07
1 Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
2 > Le samedi 04 août 2007 à 09:08 +0300, Samuli Suominen a écrit :
3 >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:28:26 -0700
4 >> Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> We disabled it to try to get the size of the x86/amd64 LiveCDs down.
7 >>> Thanks. I knew there had to be some reason for it, but couldn't
8 >>> remember what it was off the top of my head. Luckily, this won't be
9 >>> much of an issue with the next release, since we're switching to Xfce
10 >>> rather than GNOME to bring the size down even further and to try to
11 >>> produce a more useful (as in more tools) LiveCD. Of course, the
12 >>> LiveDVD will have everything on it, as it does now.
13 >> Glad to hear that. Then maybe we could add some stages to livecd?
14 >> Replace evolution with something usable like claws-mail to do so.
15 >
16 > why would you need a mailer at all on a livecd ? Is the livecd intended
17 > to provide a full desktop experience whichever desktop is chosen or is
18 > it just provided as a way to have something to do while you are
19 > installing and/or tools to fix your install ?
20 >
21 > if it's not intended to be a full desktop experience (garnome does it
22 > very well for gnome afaik) then you could install only gnome-light for a
23 > start.
24
25 The LiveCD is intended to replace the separate GRP and universal CDs when
26 combined with the installer. The installer uses the packages installed on the CD
27 to do the new install. I'm not sure how many times this has been brought up on
28 this list. You people need to pay attention ;)
31 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
32 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list