From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] EAPI 6 draft for review
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:52:01
1 Dnia 2015-10-17, o godz. 08:38:51
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 8:25 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On 10/17/2015 02:19 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> The other question is more critical -- could you merge eapply and
8 > >> eapply_user? Or add some hook to PMS so that eapply_user isn't needed?
9 > >> IOW, it'd be nice if every package was, by default, patchable by the user.
10 > >>
11 > >
12 > > IMO, eapply_user should not be in the eclass and not in PMS. patches are
13 > > something that can easily be done via PM hooks, if the PM has proper
14 > > hooks support.
17 > The reason this was done was to give maintainers more control over
18 > WHEN patches are applied, while still ensuring they are applyied.
19 >
20 > The other feature that is supposed to be in EAPI6 (I didn't read the
21 > draft yet) is that the PM should refuse to install the package if
22 > eapply is never called (ie src_prepare is overridden and the ebuild
23 > didn't call eapply). It is required that all ebuilds call it once
24 > unconditionally. That way users don't get inconsistent behavior from
25 > package to package and be dependent on maintainers to fix it.
26 >
27 > We'd have to dig through the archives, but I'm sure there was
28 > extensive discussion about whether this belonged in the PM or PMS.
29
30 I don't think this was really accepted. I think the best we can do is
31 make repoman complain about it.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>