From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] enable verbose build whenever it's possible
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:28:37
1 On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'd like to ask that we enable verbose building by default. I have
4 > cmake-utils.eclass in mind, because it's dead easy there, but there's a
5 > lot of packages that support things like "make V=1" or "make VERBOSE=1" too.
6 >
7 > I've seen too many bugs reports today that gave me cute, colorful
8 > build.logs and almost no information about underlaying bug...
9
10 Is there a way to output the verbose log to build.log, but show the
11 shortened log to the terminal? The non-verbose build is quite useful
12 for seeing the actual warnings as they fly by rather than the entire
13 gcc/libtool command, which is often mostly noise.
16 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
17
18 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team