From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:53:38
1 >>>>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, W Trevor King wrote:
2
3 > There's no Signed-off-by on the commits adding the DCO to the Linux
4 > tree ;). The only information I can find claiming copyright and
5 > licensing by one of the DCO authors is at
6 > http://developercertificate.org/. I suppose you could alter the DCO
7 > and claim it's under a different license, but the Linux Foundation
8 > lawers wrote the thing, so I think it's more respectful to take them
9 > at their word or just write your own certificate from scratch.
10
11 The Linux Foundation was founded only in 2007, so it is not possible
12 that its lawyers wrote the DCO, which (version 1.1) is from 2005.
13
14 In fact, the OSDL, as one of the predecesors of the Linux Foundation,
15 had released the DCO under these terms [1]:
16
17 © 2005 Open Source Development Labs, Inc. The Developer's
18 Certificate of Origin 1.1 is licensed under a Creative Commons
19 Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License. If you modify you must use a
20 name or title distinguishable from "Developer's Certificate of
21 Origin" or "DCO" or any confusingly similar name.
22
23 Certainly the copyright holders can re-release it under more
24 restrictive terms, but they cannot retroactively take away from us the
25 rights that they have granted us under CC BY-SA 2.5.
26
27 Ulrich
30 [1] https://web.archive.org/web/20060524185355/http://www.osdlab.org/newsroom/press_releases/2004/2004_05_24_dco.html