From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Somewhat OT - Making a suggestion for games-emulation/tuxnes
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 02:05:37
1 I hope this is the right place for this, or at least the right place to
2 start. Feel free to flame me if it's not. This question relates to
3 submitting a patch for a Gentoo package. I was running tuxnes-0.75
4 today. I was playing Final Fantasy 3, which is AFAIK not yet released
5 in the USA (and also AFAIK there are no plans to do so in the future.)
6 I have a ROM of it translated from Japanese that I downloaded years ago.
7 Anyway, I was unfamiliar with interface controls in tuxnes (still used
8 to nesticle, I guess), so when I wanted to exit the menu in teh game, I
9 hit the escape key out of habit (I don't know why I did this - I guess
10 it's because in the little games I write myself escape closes the menu.
11 In nesticle, hitting escape just makes the nesticle menu bar visible.).
12 Anyway, this not only closed the menu, but tuxnes as well, losing my
13 progress in the game. Needless to say I was unhappy with this, as I
14 didn't go to the menu until after fighting the Land Turtle - the first
15 boss battle of the game. There wasn't a reason to go to the menu before
16 then.
17
18 At first I didn't understand why the escape key would exit the emulator
19 - I have the X use flag enabled, so I have a title bar, control box, and
20 the minimize, maximize and close buttons across the top, so if I wanted
21 to close the emulator I'd just hit the X button in the corner, but I
22 guess people who didn't have the X flag enabled would need the escape
23 key exit.
24
25 Anyway, for people like me who have the X flag enabled and might
26 accidentally hit the escape key and lose their progress in the game, I
27 downloaded the source code of tuxnes-0.75 and commented out all the code
28 segments responsible for that ESC/"quit tuxnes" behaviour and I have
29 created a patch for each of the files affected (there are three.) What
30 I want to know is, should I submit the three patches in a bug report? I
31 don't have a modified ebuild ready that says, "if the X USE flag is
32 enabled, apply the patches" - I don't really know how to safely
33 write/edit ebuilds yet. Do I even submit them to Gentoo's bugzilla, or
34 should I paddle upstream with them? What should I do?
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list