From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 07:35:41
1 On Thu, 2021-09-30 at 09:18 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > > > Final question, am I understanding correctly that normal lines are not
3 > > > prefixed with something? Would it be, for consistency, alignment, and
4 > > > certainty of selecting rows something to use a prefix for those lines
5 > > > too (assuming they aren't at this point)?
6 > >
7 > > I don't know, we've never done that. I suppose it would be possible but
8 > > it is even more controversial and unlike the proposed changes, it would
9 > > actually require mangling the process output.
10 >
11 > If I remember correctly, Portage already does. In which case, doing
12 > this (even if it were adding leading spaces) would not be that much
13 > work?
16 I'm afraid this is not that simple. You need to account for all escape
17 sequences that can affect editing already output data including clean
18 handling of line wrapping. In the end, we'd have to have a complete
19 detachtty-class terminal emulator inside Portage.
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny