From: CJ Kucera <pez@××××××××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:50:55
1 On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:25:20PM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > If Gentoo distributes a GPL program or driver that can build against any
3 > of the XFree86-licensed sources (for example, the SDK), Gentoo probably
4 > violates the GPL. If Gentoo distributes a GPL XFree86 driver (for
5 > example, x11-misc/synaptics) that can load into this X server, Gentoo
6 > probably violates the GPL.
7
8 Perhaps what I'm about to ask about has already been discussed and
9 beaten to death personally, but I would have thought that Gentoo would
10 be somewhat immune to this particular problem, because it doesn't
11 so much distribute XFree as provide an automated way to fetch and
12 compile it. I suppose that there may be a problem with distributing
13 binary packages or something, and maybe Gentoo would be unable to
14 mirror the X sources on its mirror system, but how would the addition
15 of an XFree 4.4 ebuild in the Portage tree be considered an actual
16 distribution of the program?
17
18 Again, it's possible this has been already gone over a hundred times
19 already, in which case feel free to just ignore me. :)
20
21 -CJ
24 WOW: Kakistocracy | "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
25 apocalyptech.com/wow | way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,
26 pez@××××××××××××.com | _The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy_
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list