From: Eivind Tagseth <eivindt-gentoo@××××××××.no>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-java] Help with new Cocoon ebuild
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:03:47
1 * Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> [2004-01-08 02:48:43 -0800]:
2
3 > I'm working on implementing GLEP11 (just started a week ago since my
4 > school semester was over and I had some vacation time). I've got
5 > absolutely no experience or knowledge of servlets, so if you can explain
6 > how to incorporate them and how they fit together with everything, I'd
7 > be glad to see if they fit in with vhost-config and webapp-config, or
8 > java-config.
9
10 I'll try to explain.
11
12 Servlets
13 --------
14
15 Servlets, or rather, web applications, usually come in the form of a WAR-file
16 (Web Archive). Everything needed to run the web application is contained in
17 this file (apart from the servlet engine itself), and installation of the
18 web application is a matter of deploying it into a servlet engine.
19
20 As you can see, this is much like installing a "normal" web application
21 into apache, but in many ways much simpler.
22
23 Servlet engines
24 ---------------
25
26 Just as with web servers, there are several available servlet engines. But
27 unlike web servers, in theory, all web applications can be run by all
28 servlet engines. The process of deploying an application may be different
29 though, but many servlet engines lets you deploy a web application simply
30 by dropping the war file into a certain directory.
31
32 The current problem
33 -------------------
34
35 The problem is that there is no standard way to install a web application
36 on a gentoo system, and there is no way to choose which servlet engine
37 one wants to use.
38
39 Application Installation
40 - - - - - - - - - - - -
41
42 For example, the before mentioned cocoon application requires tomcat.
43 Personally, I don't use tomcat, I rather use JBoss/Jetty for my
44 web applications. However, since I have installed cocoon, I automatically
45 got tomcat dragged in. And emerging cocoon gives me
46
47 /opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/cocoon.war
48
49 and documentation in
50
51 /usr/share/doc/cocoon-2.0.2
52
53 So installing cocoon for me is:
54
55 emerge cocoon
56 cp /opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/cocoon.war /opt/jboss-3.2.1/server/default/deploy/
57
58 Which isn't very elegant.
59
60 This is very much like the problem with apache applications, and you could
61 probably use the same system. Cocoon could be installed into
62 /usr/share/webapps/, just like the apache applications, e.g. like
63 /usr/share/webapps/${P}/war/cocoon.war.
64
65 WAR files usually have the configuration files included into the WAR file
66 (not very practical IMO), so there is no need for a configuration directory.
69 Virtual Host Support
70 - - - - - - - - - -
71
72 As for the vhost-setup, I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with
73 vhosting servlet engines to talk about it.
74
75 The GLEP currently only have to deal with apache vs. apache2. I think
76 this escalates a bit when it comes to web applications, there are many
77 more servlet engines to consider. I don't see why the installation
78 tool couldn't handle these as well though. The user could control which
79 servlet engine to use using USE flags, or perhaps even better(?) using the
80 same mechanism as is used to choose the prefered Java VM today (using
81 java-config). The installation tool could then pass off deploying the
82 web application to the chosen servlet engine's own installation script
83 for performing the actual deployment.
88 I hope this makes sense, I really don't have the time to further explain/
89 formalize this as this moment.
95 Eivind
99 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list