From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:10:46
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Underlying the draft code of conduct is an assumption that aggressive
3 > and less-than-nice behavior on gentoo-dev is seriously harming Gentoo.
4
5 Well you've recently lost two very capable devs as a result of it, and I
6 understand others have left for similar reasons, so i'd say it is seriously
7 harming Gentoo. Quite apart from the reputational damage.
8
9 > On the other hand, LKML is famous for its flamewars, and nobody claims
10 > that Linux is in serious trouble. Does anybody have a good feeling for
11 > where the difference lies? Are we sure that we're solving the right
12 > problem? (That's not a rhetorical question; I really don't know the
13 > answer.)
14 >
15 Um not qualified to answer the first part, although i think jstubbs gave
16 good points. I'm not sure you are solving the right prob if this is just
17 about the dev m-l. But iirc the flameyes thing started on irc and finished
18 on bugzilla, with a goodbye post to the m-l.
19
20 Personally I understand why flameeyes took that to bugzilla; how else could
21 he say he'd gone thru the appropriate channels? Devrel (a group, not an
22 individual) weren't set up to respond quickly as others have informed us
23 all.
24
25 I would advise against trying to impose this on the user forums, however, as
26 there simply isn't any reason to do so. No one's been complaining about the
27 user forums, apart from ciaran afaict, and a kneejerk response could well
28 backfire (ie harm gentoo more). IOW I agree it should be a temporary thing
29 until the longer term implications are bedded in. /Some/ action *is* called
30 for imo.
31
32 Believe it or not, most users don't care about the devs either; we just like
33 the software. Maybe you could involve the user reps before imposing rules
34 on our forum because yours aren't working right?
35
36 Most apposite thing I ever heard (doubly so since it comes from Torvalds):
37 "If you develop Free software you get a thick skin. Or you don't develop
38 Free software."
39
40 I hear Apple're hiring? ;P
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list