From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New RESTRICT=live value for identification of live ebuilds?
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:34:26
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Mike Auty wrote:
5 > Zac Medico wrote:
6 > | Honestly I don't care what the existing scheme is.
7 >
8 > Fair enough, I don't maintain the code or have to deal with the
9 > complaints. It seems a waste to abandon an existing scheme though.
10
11 The "scheme" is pretty worthless in my eyes. The RESTRICT variable
12 is quite useful for general purpose boolean flags so I see no reason
13 not to use it as such.
14
15 > Particularly since RESTRICT is an odd name for random boolean flags.
16 > Something like OPTIONS would be better, but it that can't be
17 > added/changed quickly. Is there an urgent pressing need for this?
18 >
19 > | primaryuri - Fetch from URLs in SRC_URI before GENTOO_MIRRORS.
20 >
21 > | Looking at the above list I say it's fair game to put just about any
22 > | boolean flag in RESTRICT.
23 >
24 > To me, almost every item in that list has "not", "disable", "restrict"
25 > or some other negative in it, which lets it fit into a restriction.
26 > Primaryuri is the only one that looks out of place.
27
28 Again, such "schemes" are pretty worthless to me. But then, to have
29 a RESTRICT=live setting for ebuilds would be quite useful.
30
31 > You did sound up for a name change though, and if nothing else please do
32 > change it. Our new users/developers that don't know RESTRICT is seen as
33 > a general purpose options flag will not find it intuitive and will
34 > definitely wonder what RESTRICT="live" means. Not everybody knows the
35 > ebuild format intimately, and allowing people to easily pick up what's
36 > going on is important...
37
38 I chose "live" because I think it's easy for people to associate it
39 with "live ebuilds", which I believe is a common term used to refer
40 to ebuild that download live sources in src_unpack. What's in a name
41 though? I'll gladly use whatever name satisfies the most people.
42
43 > | That requires an EAPI bump, which also means that it can't be used
44 > | in ebuilds with EAPI 0 or 1. The RESTRICT solution is simpler and we
45 > | can use it right now in any ebuild.
46 >
47 > It is simpler, and as I say if there's an urgent need then go for it,
48 > but to me it feels like it's bolting on functionality into any space
49 > it'll go. Given that some time was spent changing all the "noblah"
50 > flags to "blah" to fit the RESTRICT name, it's a little disappointing to
51 > consider shoving extra flags in it now it all makes sense.
52
53 Well, RESTRICT=live makes perfect sense to me and I see it as a
54 legitimate use of an existing ebuild variable that's already used
55 for lots of other legitimate purposes.
56
57 > This is a relatively minor point. In the long run, if people don't like
58 > it, it'll get QA bugged/ironed out, if they do it'll stay, you just
59 > asked for thoughts... 5:)
60 >
61 > Mike 5:)
62
63 Thanks for you input. It just seems to me that you're putting some
64 artificial limitations on the RESTRICT variable while I see it as a
65 more generically useful tool to accomplish a variety of useful purposes.
66
67 Zac